A course for ski instructors training for the BASI Mountain Safety and EMS courses
- Price: €300
- Duration: 5 days
- Small groups
- Delivered by BASI L4 and IML
Over five days we will take an in-depth look at the skills needed to lead groups in the mountains. We will begin with three mornings skiing on the Les Deux Alpes glacier. Afternoon activities in the mid-mountain environment will be followed by classroom sessions. On-snow we will cover navigation,
The final two days will consist of an overnight expedition, staying in a mountain refuge. This will give us plenty of time to focus on navigation, leadership, group management and the mountain environment.
The course will be delivered in small groups by fully qualified BASI Level 4 instructors and UIMLA certified International Mountain Leaders. We will have a maximum of four students per instructor on-snow to ensure we have lift queue priority.
- Navigation – on- and off-snow, use of compass/altimeter/apps, slope angles, relocation
- Snowcraft – snowpits, weather interpretation, shear tests, quick stability tests
- Emergency ropework – useful knots, buried ski belay
- Transceiver search and self-rescue – personal skills, teaching to clients
- Avalanche awareness – snowpack, terrain management, weather, human factors
- Leadership – group management, hazards, the mountain environment
Course price: 300 euros
Additional costs: accommodation, 3-day ski pass, one night in refuge, equipment hire